We all know the power of positive thinking, right?
Now imagine that feeling when it comes specifically to your pregnancy and labor/delivery.
Whether you’re having a baby for the first time or fifth, these pregnancy affirmations can help prepare your mind and soul in a very special way!
Preparing for birth comes in many forms, including using positive affirmations during pregnancy to help strengthen your mind for labor and birth.
When we prepare in advance, it can make this experience more enjoyable and easier .
Affirmations are easy to do but they are most effective when done a certain way!
Continue reading to learn more about affirmations and how to harness them for a stronger and more confident pregnancy!
Disclosure: Although I am a certified prenatal/postnatal exercise specialist and personal trainer, I am not YOUR trainer. The content on this blog is for informational purposes only and should not be a substitute of the information and advice you receive from a healthcare professional.
What are Affirmations?
Affirmations are a type of self-talk that can be used in many different aspects throughout life to overcome negative thought patterns and encourage positivity in your life
They work by shifting negative thoughts and feelings into more positive thinking patterns to help overcome fear or anxiety you may be experiencing.
With regular use, positive affirmations can help rewire the brain to reduce stress and enjoy this special time in your life.
They are a great tool to ensure a more peaceful pregnancy, healthy baby and safe birth.
How do Affirmations Work?
Affirmations work by a process called “Neuroplasticity“.
This is the ability of neural networks in the brain to change through growth and reorganization.
By using affirmations consistently, you can actually rewire your brain to overcome negative and self-sabotaging thoughts.
Think of affirmations as exercises for your mind.
Just like we need to exercise our bodies for greatness, we also need to exercise our minds.
You wouldn’t expect to reach your weight loss and fitness goals after one workout or one healthy meal, right?
The same concept applies to affirmations.
When used daily and consistently, affirmations can help rewire anxious or negative thought patterns into a more positive mindset.
It’s not an instant fix for your anxiety or fear during pregnancy, but it is a wonderful tool that can help you tremendously.
The more you say the pregnancy affirmations, the more you’ll start to believe them.
It’s all about retraining your brain to release your fears and anxiety so you can be the most powerful version of yourself during this time.
Why are Positive Affirmations so Important in Pregnancy?
Using positive affirmations during pregnancy is extremely important because, as mothers-to-be, we know how quickly our emotions can shift. (thank you hormones!)
One minute you’re ready for birth and the next you’re scared to death of everything.
If you don’t have the right tools (like affirmations) to deal with your emotions, then this emotional shift will cause more stress and anxiety which is not healthy for you or your baby during pregnancy.
How Do I Use These Positive Affirmations for Pregnancy?
Each day, take 5 minutes each morning and 5 minutes each night to repeat the pregnancy affirmations that resonate with you the most.
Read them out loud often, even if you don’t believe them yet, and soon enough they will become your inner voice!
Allow yourself to fully feel the meaning of the words and allow the meaning to seep into your subconscious.
The positive words you speak to yourself will be reflected in the way you feel and will greatly help with any anxiety you may be feeling.
How Do Affirmations Help to Reduce Anxiety and Fear During Pregnancy?
Pregnancy affirmations have the power to stop negative self-talk from harming your psyche.
By simply saying the positive words, your body is able to release fear and worry so it can focus on creating a beautiful baby.
It is essential for a healthy pregnancy that the mind is also kept healthy.
Positive pregnancy affirmations can safeguard your mind from a cycle of negativity.
Repeating affirmations to yourself can help heighten your self-awareness, prepare you emotionally for the changes you are experiencing and give you the mental strength to fight all negative thoughts for a more positive pregnancy experience.
The Most Common Pregnancy Fears and Worries
It’s natural to feel anxious about the changes that are happening in your body and the unknowns about what lies ahead for you and your baby.
Sometimes, these feelings are due to misconceptions or fears about the unknown.
Other times, these feelings are based on negative experiences of others.
Regardless of the source, it is important for pregnant women to know that the negative or anxious feelings they may be experiencing will pass and that there is help available if needed.
Common Pregnancy Fears and Worries:
- Pregnancy loss
- Birth defects
- Premature birth (baby born too early)
- Low birth weight (baby born weighing less than normal)
- Fears about being a bad mother
- Having a long, painful or complicated labor
- Weight gain or weight loss
- Changes to your body
- Losing the baby weight after pregnancy
- If you have multiple children, the fear of taking time away from your older kids
You are not alone in your fears! There are plenty of women who can relate to what you’re going through, myself included. .
What are the Benefits of Pregnancy Affirmations?
- Retrain the brain to think more positively and optimistically.
2. Assist you as you try to change your mindset towards a more positive one.
3. Help reduce stress levels during pregnancy as well as lower your anxiety and fear.
4. Give you a means to express yourself and your emotions so that you don’t feel like you’re bottling them up inside or not speaking up for yourself.
5. Help to ease the process of transition between being pregnant and becoming a mother by reminding you that you are your baby’s perfect mother.
6. Help you feel secure in your pregnancy journey.
7. Give you a sense of empowerment to know that you are strong and capable of doing harding things
How do I Begin Using Affirmations?
Affirmations can be used in many different ways.
In the context of pregnancy, affirmations are a means to invite positivity and calm into your life.
Affirmations are best used with your learning style but the more senses you use, the better engrained they will be in your mind and beliefs.
If you are an auditory learner, try recording yourself reading affirmations and listening to them consistently might be the best method for you.
If you are a visual learner, reading and even writing your own affirmations to review throughout the day might work best.
Whatever method is best for you still requires consistency for them to be most effective!
There are several methods for effectively using affirmations:
Read and Repeat Daily:
Make it a habit to read through them several times a day.
The repetition allows them to sink into your subconscious mind which is important for changing the way you think about yourself, your baby and your pregnancy.
Even if they don’t seem to work at first, keep trying as many women find that they see results after several weeks of using them.
Begin by taking a deep breath and turning off any outside mental clutter you may be experiencing in order to really feel each affirmation.
Create Visual Reminders of Your Affirmations:
Creating visual reminders is a great way to keep your affirmations at the forefront of your mind.
You can create them with pictures or notes that you post on your mirror, bathroom cabinet, in your car, etc.
Placing them somewhere you are sure to see daily will help you continue to practice replacing negative thoughts with more positive ones.
Record yourself reading them:
If you’re an auditory learner, try recording your voice reading through the affirmations so you can play them back to yourself.
This method works best if you are having trouble remembering to read them or if you feel like the affirmations don’t seem to be working.
Write your own pregnancy affirmation:
For some moms, writing allows more freedom than reading someone else’s words.
Writing can be especially helpful when you feel like an affirmation doesn’t express what’s on your mind.
This allows you to create your own affirmations with thoughts and words that help YOU through your pregnancy.
As you write your own pregnancy affirmations, allow yourself to express the emotions and fears that you’re feeling.
And keep your affirmations in the present tense to help you feel more present and grounded in your feelings.
Journal your fears and emotions:
Keeping a journal is a great way to release all of the emotions and thoughts you might be feeling about your pregnancy.
This can help you avoid bottling up stress or anxiety that might otherwise make it more difficult for you to enjoy your pregnancy.
Journaling is a great tool and reminder that you are stronger than your fears and that you can lean on those positive feelings when you’re feeling down.
12 Positive Pregnancy Affirmations To Relieve Stress and Fear
When you read through these affirmation, elaborate on them and write down some ideas of what these affirmations mean to you and how they will help you in your pregnancy journey!
Affirmations about your pregnant body :
- My body knows how to nourishes my baby perfectly every day, adjusting to what my baby needs most at this stage of development.
- My pregnant body is perfect just the way it is and I am just what my baby needs
- I can handle any pregnancy symptoms with ease and grace because I know this process is bringing me closer to meeting my new baby
- I am excited to experience all the changes my body is going through right now, as they are preparing me for the most incredible gift of all
- I understand that I do not have to love all the changes that are happing to my body but I will continue to respect, love and appreciate the miracle it is creating inside of me.
- My body is strong and capable of doing hard things
- I choose to take care of my body and mind so that I can have a healthy baby and happy pregnancy
- Even if I don’t always love my pregnant body, I am proud of the strength it holds and the miracle of life it is creating
- The physical discomfort I feel is only temporary and I know it will be worth it in the end
- I love my body at all stages of pregnancy and postpartum because I am proud of the life it has created.
- I will continue to love my pregnant body and speak kindly about all the miraculous things it is doing for my baby
- I feel confident in my pregnancy and my baby bump is simply an extension of me and my healthy baby.
- My pregnant body is beautiful, strong and healthy
- My body’s changes are signs of strength, not weakness. I am beautiful inside and out
- I will continue to love my pregnant body and speak kindly about all the miraculous things it is doing for my baby
- My pregnant body is beautiful, strong and healthy
Affirmations about your pregnancy:
- When things feel overwhelming, I will choose to feel grateful for this opportunity and embrace this small period of time in my life to bring joy into this world.
- I will take my pregnancy one day at a time and i am grateful for the opportunity to grow closer to my baby through this process
- This pregnancy is a blessing and gift that has been given to me, and I will accept it with joy and gratitude
- I will embrace this process and all of the emotions it brings up inside of me
- I am a dedicated and loving mother who loves my baby unconditionally and know that they are growing safely inside my body
- I will protect myself and my baby by allowing only positive thoughts and words about my pregnancy and my body.
- My most important job is to stay calm, relaxed and enjoy my baby inside me because i know it will only be a short time before they are here
- I accept all my feelings as valid and know that I am not alone and loved by those around me
- ·When things feel too overwhelming, I will surrender my fears and simply relax as I allow my body to do what it needs to do
- I will be patient and know that each month that passes brings my baby closer to birth and I know that my body is working hard to prepare for that time
- No matter how scared or anxious I feel, I am blessed to be given this opportunity to bring my baby into this world
Pregnancy affirmations for my future baby:
- My baby will be born healthy and strong because my body has provided them with exactly what they need.
- I will love and protect my baby every step of the way, and I know that all the changes happening inside me are preparing us for a happy arrival
- My baby knows how much I love them because I surround myself with positive thoughts only about my baby
- Each day that passes brings me closer to meeting my baby for the very first time, and I can’t wait to finally be able to hold them
- I know that our bond has already started even before my baby is born
- My Baby is waiting patiently inside me growing healthier and stronger each day
- My baby knows that I love him/her unconditionally
- My baby is a source of unconditional love, joy and happiness
- I am not just carrying a baby, I’m growing a person who will be born into this world to do great things
- My baby can feel my positive energy and is protected by it
- My baby senses the peace, love, and happiness that is surrounding them
- My baby is developing normally and I will trust my medical team to ensure me and and my baby are safe and healthy
- I feel safe and secure every day knowing that I am ready to be the best mother possible to my growing baby
- My baby is developing normally and will be born perfectly healthy
Affirmations for my future labor:
- My baby’s birth will happen at the right time and I will release all expectations in order to protect my mind from feeling disappointed in anyway.
- My body knows what needs to be done in order to birth my baby, so I will relax and go with the flow
- I am confident in my body, strength and ability for safely delivering my baby into this world
- My baby will be born a strong child with a bright future
- I can handle whatever comes my way during labor because I know that the pain I feel is a part of the process of bringing life into our world
- I will have a beautiful birth no matter how painful it gets because I know that I can do hard things and I am strong enough to do them
- I am not afraid of the pain that comes with childbirth because I trust that it is a healthy pain that will bring me closer to meeting my new baby
- I trust that when it’s time for labor, my body will know exactly what it needs to do
- Labor is source of strength, not weakness
- I am a strong woman and I can handle whatever my pregnancy and labor throws my way
- My body knows how to birth easily and I will embrace the process with faith and trust
- I feel blessed to be given this opportunity to create life and will embrace this journey as my body brings me closer to welcoming my new baby
- I will continue to educate myself about my baby’s birth so that i can feel confident and prepared when that time comes
- I will be proud of my childbirth experience, no matter what directions birthing takes me
Affirmations about self -care and self-love
- I will take care of myself during pregnancy to make sure I can care for my baby after birth
- Today I’m going to be kinder to myself than usual by giving myself permission to do whatever feels right in the moment
- I deserve all of the rest and relaxation that is best for me and my pregnancy
- Today, I’m going to live more in line with how I feel inside than what others expect of me
- Today, I am going to allow myself to feel whatever it is that I’m feeling without worrying about what others think of me
- I deserve all of the down time that my body needs today to be at its best for me and my baby
- I will not allow my body’s need for relaxation to feel like a sign of laziness but rather an opportunity to allow my baby to grow the way they need to
Final Thoughts on Using Pregnancy Affirmations To Reduce Fear and Stress
Using positive affirmations during pregnancy to reduce fear and stress can be a wonderful way to help you stay empowered, release negative emotions and thoughts as well as open your mind up to the beautiful opportunities ahead of you.
Using them consistently will not only empower you throughout your pregnancy but also beyond as a new mom.
Choose positive pregnancy affirmations that resonate with you and repeat them to yourself daily.
When it comes to choosing the right affirmations, remember that all types of affirmations can be effective so feel free to adjust and customize these ones to your needs and desires.
Whatever is true for you will hold the most power so include those thoughts in your list of positive pregnancy affirmations.
FACT CHECKStruggles of a Fit Mom uses only high-quality sources, including peer-reviewed studies, to support the facts within it’s articles. Read my editorial process to learn more about how I fact-check and keep my content accurate, reliable, and trustworthy.
Peer reviewed studies
HAMPTON, D. (n.d.). Neuroplasticity: The 10 Fundamentals Of Rewiring Your Brain. Reset.Me. https://reset.me/story/neuroplasticity-the-10-fundamentals-of-rewiring-your-brain/
Cascio CN, O’Donnell MB, Tinney FJ, et al. Self-affirmation activates brain systems associated with self-related processing and reward and is reinforced by future orientation. Soc Cogn Affect Neurosci. 2016;11(4):621-629. doi:10.1093/scan/nsv136
Brooke is a certified Prenatal and Postnatal Exercise Specialist with a Bachelors of Science degree in Kinesiology-Exercise Science. She is also a mom of 3 girls with more than 15 years of experience in health and fitness. Brooke’s goal at Struggles of a Fit Mom is to help motivate, educate and inspire other busy mamas who struggle with finding time, energy and motivation to take care of themselves in the chaos of motherhood.